Friday 13 October 2017

The Flash season 4 episode 1 review: The Flash Reborn

Posted by Vikram Sharma
Every year when the Flash returns, we all get excited and thrilled to get this fabulous cast back. I genuinely missed these people an their chemistry during this off-season. Although many of us will agree that the third season of the show was not a hit among fans due to the darkness it brought into the season specially during the second half of the season. But seeing this season's premier brought back the old vibes (pun intended) back to a highly optimistic character. 


Before I start the review, I want to quickly shuffle away some complaints that I had with the episode. First issue which I felt was the hand-wavey approach it takes to things like actually bringing Barry back, restoring his mind, and its approach to bringing Caitlin back into the fold. Well that's an awful amount of work to be fitted in one episode, especially when the showrunners had full 23 episodes, they could have easily done this all in a two-parter like the season three's first two episodes. But having said that I understand why they did this all, because to get all the things ready from the get-go and re-establishing the status quo. 

The second issue I felt was that Iris West being the leader of the team. Before anybody jumps the gun that she is the love interest of the lead and all that, I want to say that her character has really grown on me in the previous seasons. It's not a knock on the character but that she doesn't have powers or any computer skills or say any statistical skills to lead the team. That is what I felt was a bit odd.

Anyways before anyone thinks that this is a negative review, it is far from that. I thoroughly enjoyed the episode. The Flash Reborn is a really enjoyable hour of TV, handily reminding everyone why we love these characters so much in the first place. I particularly felt Joe and Cisco are particular standouts in this regard while maturing/evolving others in ways that are really satisfying, Iris and Wally are going to kick so much ass this season. 

And Barry freaking Allen felt so powerful reminding us all that he is indeed the Flash. I think it is in a long time when I was awe struck by the power he displayed making it like a true comic book show. 

I cannot forget Caitlin Snow. I think she had my favourite line in the episode when she said, "Don't make me frosty. You wouldn't like me when I'm frosty." When she said it I was so happy that they made a reference to the Incredible Hulk. A little crossover of DC and Marvel. I guess they are going for Bruce Banner and Hulk situation for Caitlin making one of the most complex characters in the show right now. 


The post credit scene of the episode was indeed refreshing. If you check my post about Flash' big bads you will know what I m talking about. Click here. Revealing the big bad in the first episode really makes him a big deal who is manipulating all the things and especially when I realised it was his Samuroid to pump up the speed of the extraction of Barry from speedforce. Looking forward to this battle.

All being said I feel, it was a great start for the show after a rather unflattering third season.

0 comments:

Post a Comment